In today’s post I wanted to share with any of you who are interested in photography about our experience with the Tamron 35-150mm f2-2.8. Generally speaking I like to describe ourselves as not overly technical. I think that at the end of the day, capturing those special moments during a wedding, during an event, or just in general in your lives is far more important than how many aperture blades a lens has. If you want a more in depth layout and description on the technical aspects you can find them on the Tamron website below:
Our experience with this lens has been nothing short of amazing. From the moment that we heard that it was being announced, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it because I am very big on having a good range. However, I’m not one to sacrifice quality for convenience. If a lens is going to be in our camera bag for some people’s most important days of their lives, the lens has to perform. And I can happily report that this lens did. Tamron released this lens at the end of 2021 so I’ve had it for about a month and probably about 2 dozen shoots already. I did however, want to wait until we did a full wedding with it to write out my full review and thoughts on it since primarily a lot of wedding photographers will be wanting this lens.
Tamron 35-150mm f2-2.8 on a wedding day
On a wedding day, I can’t say enough good things about this lens. When we arrived for getting-ready shots, our bride was nearly done with her make up and her hair but we wanted to do a few more details before capturing her. I literally did not have to change lenses for a single shot below. From the details, to the bride getting ready, to her interacting with her friends, every single shot was done with the Tamron. It wasn’t until we got to the church that I changed to a wider lens for a few shots.
Shooting a ceremony with the Tamron 35-150mm f2-2.8
I can’t stay enough how much of a difference it made to photograph the ceremony with this lens. In a normal situation, normally I would have a 24 -70mm and a 70-180 or 70-200mm handy for the ceremony to make sure I got everything. Truth be told, since our second and third photographers normally have a telephoto lens, I normally stick with the 24-70 which means my range is very medium and safe. There’s nothing wrong with that, and you’ll make sure to capture what you need. However, with this lens, not only was able to get the walking down the aisle photos, the ceremony, ring exchange, flowers to Virgin Mary, first kiss all in that medium range, but I was also able to get it from the telephoto range. This not only made my job easier, but it gave our bride and groom a ton more options. Could I have gone back and forth between the 24-70 and the 70-180 in order to capture both ranges, of course. But why do that when you can have one lens, leave your camera bag on the side, and not have to switch during pivotal moments?
Tamron 35-150mm f2-2.8 Lens for Reception
For the reception, I would say for 80% of the time it’s perfect, for the other 20%, have a wider lens handy. Let me explain. If you’re shooting speeches, dances (parent dances, first dance, etc), more controlled events, the 35-150mm is plenty and then some (again, you can get more varied shots than the 24-70). The only time where I felt I needed a bit more was during dancing as I like to get close and in the action. At that point I went with an ultra-wide (14-24mm). However, as you can see below, before the dancing kicked off, I shot all of it with the 35-150mm.
Tamron 35-150mm Wedding Review Overall
What can I really say about this lens. If you’re getting into wedding photography or photography in general, this lens really is that happy do-it-all lens. From your fairly wide to the zoom that most lenses don’t touch with that wide aperture, you really do have a great package all in one. Personally the only thing I would add to my arsenal if I were you is a super wide lens to pair at the wider end. In the review below you can see what I use together with the 35-150mm.
If you have any questions at all, please reach out to us on here or on our Instagram page below: https://www.instagram.com/tnkphotodotcom/